Bulgaria’s third-largest city and summer capital, Varna, is getting free EV charging at 20+ locations. Municipality of town Varna and ME “Municipality car parks and blue zone – Varna” successfully executes the project, which started back in May 2020 with approved investment projects and successful acceptance from local energy companies. The municipality’s primary goal is to implement electric vehicle charging stations infrastructure, incentivizing the residents with greener means of transport and benefits for the environment.
The project consists of 30+ charging stations and a smart EV charging management platform with white-labeled mobile apps for iOS and Android for EV drivers. AMPECO proudly provides the EV charging backend platform and the EV driver apps.
Municipality of town Varna is going to run both public and private EV charging networks. The public EV charging network will work with 22 charging stations, and all of them will be available for Varna residents and tourists to charge their vehicles for free in the hourly paid parking zones in the center of the town. Nine more charging stations will be available to the municipality administration employees for the municipality electric fleet, consisting of 18 electric vehicles.
AMPECO EV Charging platform provides the software platform for managing both the public and the private charging stations, controlled by the municipality employees. The charging station management platform allows the network operators from the municipality to:
- Connect remotely new charging stations from all manufacturers worldwide due to its hardware-agnostic benefit;
- Set access rules and visibility (private/public), monitor and manage usage and station health;
- Give access to thousands of charging stations more through the roaming capabilities of the platform;
- Balance the load in the electricity grid through smart algorithms;
- Allow EV drivers to find available charging stations;
- Start and stop charging as they wish;
- Extensive end-user management features;
- Branded customer communication;
- White-labeled mobile apps.
All EV drivers in Varna will benefit from the free charging on the dedicated public charging stations. The mobile applications for the EV drivers provided by AMPECO will let them:
- Find a charging station and quickly navigate to its location with a charging stations map;
- Scan the QR code with the built-in QR code scanner and start the charging;
- Access their charging history and navigate to previous charging locations;
- Bookmark their favorite charging locations in the app;
- Start the charging process with a mobile application or an RFID tag.
All residents of Varna town driving an electric vehicle can park for free in the blue parking zone and use the charging stations. They can download the Municipality of town Varna’s mobile apps from the specialized website.
A curious fact is that all public charging stations offer not only the option to charge an electric car using the Type 2 connector but also a regular Schuko outlet for charging e-mopeds, e-bikes, and e-scooters. The charging on the Schuko power outlets is activated in the same way as the Type 2 charging – with the Varna Charging Stations mobile app.
Did you find this article useful?
Sign up to receive the latest news and articles from Ampeco